Apr 7, 2014

Review: Sekret by Lindsay Smith

Title: Sekret
Author: Lindsay Smith
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Publication Date: 4.1.2014
Pages: 337
Genre: Young Adult, Historical, Paranormal
Series: Sekret #1
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
Yulia's father always taught her to hide her thoughts and control her emotions to survive the harsh realities of Soviet Russia. But when she's captured by the KGB and forced to work as a psychic spy with a mission to undermine the U.S. space program, she's thrust into a world of suspicion, deceit, and horrifying power. Yulia quickly realizes she can trust no one--not her KGB superiors or the other operatives vying for her attention--and must rely on her own wits and skills to survive in this world where no SEKRET can stay hidden for long.

Review:
What would you do if nothing you thought or did was safe? Your mind was a treasure chest full of secrets and past events were memories used to find you. Sekret is a wonderful book, historically so, of the Russians and Americans with an added twist with psychics.

I was really pleased with setting. Lindsay have you the perfect picture of 1960 Russia. The dreary towns with their poverty, the splendid towers in the city and even the castle like fortress Yulia soon lives at; you can picture them perfectly, even if you don't want to.

I loves how Yulia is just as confused about who or what she is as you. There always seems like there is so much more right around the corner but it's just out of reach. She had her ideals and beliefs and didn't allow anyone to make her give in or change her ways. Her struggle with the KGB and trust and even  herself is a true testimony of strong will.

Now I have read a few historical fiction books and they weren't bad. The history was put in in such a way that it really added to the story. With Sekret I felt like I was reading a book for world history class. If you were to take out the only level of fiction, the psychics, that's what it would be. In the end of the book it describes he reasoning for this and I understand it and why she did it that way. I can only the imagine the amount of research on this particular event that went into creating this.

If you like this type of historical fiction then this is definitely the type of book for you, it just wasn't mine. I can only applause Lindsay for the work that went into this.
 Buy: Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one. I have never really read anything about this era and to have it set in Russia just upped my interest. I really liked Yulia's character. Watching her navigate through the KGB and just trying to discover who she was and how she got her powers and what it all meant was really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got about 1/4th of the way through, enjoyed that bit, put it down and haven't picked it back up. I will but... it's so hard when it just doesn't grab you from the get-go. So intriguing but, what I've read, it's slow.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!