Mar 24, 2014

Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria
Publication Date: 3.18.2014
Pages: 384
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Series: No
Source: Finished copy from publisher

Rating: 4 Stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
At twenty-two years old, Sydney is enjoying a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers that Hunter is cheating on her—and she’s forced to decide what her next move should be.

Soon, Sydney finds herself captivated by her mysterious and attractive neighbor, Ridge. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. They soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one.

Review:
While I am a fan of new adult, I have never read Colleen Hoover before now. I have heard great things about her books, but MAYBE SOMEDAY was my first time with her, and I can easily see why she has amassed such a loyal, devoted fan base.

Hoover writes with passion and heart - she bleeds that into her characters on every page. She does a great job of bringing them to life and pulling emotions from a reader. Several parts made my heart clench and my stomach churn. It wasn't hard to enjoy Sydney and Ridge and watch them fall in love. And I especially thought the music aspect was a great touch.

The only fault I found with this story, and it could be because I'm burning out on new adult and the same recycled material (especially in the contemporary genre), is that I felt like I had read this before. There was no real surprise, no jaw dropping moment that left me craving more or staying up late to finish. It lacked the spark that kept it firmly in the good, but not epic, category for me.

Hoover is a great writer who can craft a very enjoyable story. But I liken this to a ride in the country on a lazy summer day with the windows down. It's sweet and relaxing, but I'm the girl who would rather go bungee jumping than for a drive in the country.
Buy: Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I just...I can't read any more NA until they get some new material. It's just the same again and again, no matter how well written. To be fair, Hoover was one of the forerunners of the category but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any NA because they all seem to be exactly the same, but I have heard amazing things about Hoover's writing and her books. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!