Dec 5, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Title: All Our Yesterdays
Author: Cristin Terrill
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: 9.3.2013
Pages: 368
Genre: Time travel
Series: All Our Yesterdays #1
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: A+

Summary (from Goodreads):
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

Review:
Hello, Cristin Terrill, meet the World. World, meet Cristin Terrill. The author you're going to be hearing about for the next decade.

There was a lot of hype surrounding this book going in BEA this past year. I felt like everyone was buzzing about this book and this author, to the point where I was almost over it before it began. Usually books that are mega-hyped fall short for me. I did manage to snag a copy, but it wasn't something I had to read until a good friend (Andye) not so-subtly ordered me via twitter to read this book when I went on vacation.

I should just let her order me around in all my reading because holy crapballs was this book amazing!

Honestly, I got about a third of the way into this book and realized, "Oh, God, I figured out the big surprise." When you get there, you'll see what I mean. I was kinda bummed, thinking the book would be all downhill from there but that was just where the story picked up.

Terrill is a freaking genius. The way she seamlessly blended world and intertwined the lives of Em, Marina, Finn and James still boggles my mind. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan (admittedly, Sci-Fi is frequently too smart for me and I'm reminded of the numerous 'Fs' I got throughout school), but Terrill effortlessly explains her world in a way that is breathtakingly magical. I loved every single word on every single page.

I have no clue where the series will go from here, but I will happily and joyfully take this ride, and any other, that Terrill wants to throw at me. Everyone needs to read this book now.

Now.

No, seriously. Go get it.


Buy: Amazon

5 comments:

  1. Obviously I need to make this book a priority! It's been sitting on my shelves for far too long (like so many other BEA books!). Love your review if it, so I'm going to give into peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessssssssssssss!!! I was a little wary of this one at first too Hannah since it was getting SO much buzz, but I decided to suck it up and hope for the best, and then promptly got blown away. I loved this book so much! I will now happily devour anything and everything Cristin Terrill writes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure about this book -- you know hype, especially at BEA. It could mean anything. But I'm so glad I read it and so glad you loved it! SO. Much. Tension!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I freaking loved this book and yes I cried at the part where the person might've sorta had something happen to them. It affected me in ways that I don't ever want to be affected in again. ACK.

    So glad you enjoyed and yes, your review totally cracked me up!

    - Nova

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same...there was too much hype and I probably wasn't going to enjoy it, but OMG, it was beyond awesome. One of my favorites of the year. Great review...I completely agree on this point specifically: "Oh, God, I figured out the big surprise." When you get there, you'll see what I mean. I was kinda bummed, thinking the book would be all downhill from there but that was just where the story picked up." If anything, it just got better.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!