Apr 18, 2012

Review: Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

Title: Social Suicide
Author: Gemma Halliday
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Publication Date: 4.24.2012
Pages: 272
Genre: Mystery
Series: Yes (Deadly Cool #2)
Source: ARC from publisher

Rating: A-

Summary (from Goodreads):
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.

I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos...

Review:
I adore this series. It totally feeds into a more grown up Nancy Drew need I have. This series is fun, witty, and twisted. Gemma Halliday does a wonderful job keeping things moving and quick. I never once got bored with this novel, nor with its prequel. It’s great to grab a book and breeze through it in an afternoon.

Hartley is one of the best narrators I’ve ever read in a novel. Maybe it’s because she’s an intrepid reporter, maybe it’s because she’s a total smart ass, but I love her to pieces. She’s fantastic and I swear our brains are on the same wavelength. This girl is fantastic.

I will admit that this plot is a bit predictable, but I honestly don’t care. It’s just such a fun story to read, that I never really cared. And the end put the biggest grin on my face. The way Hartley and her friends Chase and Sam work together is literary gold.

I can’t wait to read the next book in this series. If you’re looking for something quick, light, and utterly enjoyable? Grab this series and indulge.

2 comments:

  1. I totally loved this book too! I also agree that it was predictable but I didn't care either because it was just so fun to read! Great review :) I hope she writes more of these fun high school mysteries

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, what? Grown up Nancy Drew? I have Deadly Cool on my Kindle and just haven't gotten around to it, but that line convinced me to read it sooner rather than later! I have yet to see a bad review of this series.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you know that every time you comment, an angel gets its wings.

OK, not really, but thanks for popping by!